AMDact – A Rapid, Low Cost AMD Risk Classification Service
Until now the only way to conduct an AMD/ARD risk classification was to engage a consultant to manually assess static geochemical datasets. Now there is a faster, cheaper alternative.
AMDact stands for AMD Assessment and Classification Tool. Earth System first used this tool over 15 years ago. It is regularly updated and the current version encapsulates more than 25 years experience in the Characterisation and Classification of geological materials for AMD/ARD risk.
The tool produces rapid, standardised, conservative and non-biased risk assessments and materials classifications. It deals with the significant geochemical complexity that arises from the characterisation and assessment of AMD, ARD, NMD and ML / ARD.
AMDact uses total and chromium reducible sulfur along with one or more of the static geochemical parameters listed below to assess the AMD risk of geological materials.
- Net Acid Producing Potential (NAPP),
- Acid Neutralising Capacity (ANC),
- NAG pH,
- NAG 4.5,
- NAG 7.0.
In addition to these parameters AMDact can use the results of a range of acidity, sulfur and carbon test work procedures to calculate the relative proportions of acid and non-acid storing sulfate species, and provide an independent check on measured acid neutralising capacity.
As part of this assessment the data is checked for consistency between the various test parameters and recommendations are made where additional test work is required to reduce uncertainties and better classify the data.
Various, optional, outputs from AMDact include;
- Simplified Potentially Acid Forming / Non-Acid Forming (PAF/NAF) classifications,
- Detailed risk classifications ranging from High / Moderate / Low Potential for Acid Generation though Unlikely to be Acid Generating to Acid Consuming,
- Assessment of the non-acid forming (NAF) materials potential to form NMD, ML/ARD,
- Calculation of the relative proportions of the various forms of acid and non-acid producing sulfur species,
- Recommended additional test work and comments,
- Validation of data, flagging inconsistent or incomplete data,
- Statistics based on sample lithology/type,
- Standardised graphs to assist with further detailed assessments.
AMDact is currently being used by Earth Systems to provide industry clients with information for;
- Regulatory approval
- Mine planning
- Waste scheduling
- Closure planning
AMDact Classification Services
Three levels of classification are currently available, with the rate per sample depending on the level of classification required:
- Simple PAF / NAF reporting only (Service 1);
- Detailed AMD/ARD Risk Classification only (Service 2);
- Full Static Geochemical Classification Report (Service 3).
An example Full Static Geochemical Classification Report can be download here.
Service 1: Simple Classification into NAF or PAF
- Minimum $250 (AUD) for up to 25 samples
- Additional samples at $7/sample but capped at $7,000 per submission.
Service 2: Detailed Classification for ARD/AMD risk, as well as classification for NMD and SD
- Minimum $375 (AUD) for up to 25 samples
- $11/sample but capped at $11,000 per submission.
Service 3: Full Static Geochemical Classification Report
- Minimum $500 (AUD) for up to 25 samples
- $18/sample but capped at $18,000 per submission.
Please call us on +61 (0)3 9810 7500, or email us at [email protected], to organise data delivery, or discuss your geochemical requirements in more detail.
Contact ES Analytical for additional information on how AMDact can assist your site’s reporting, planning and management of AMD/ARD/NMD/ML issues.